Tuesday, April 5, 2011

The Makati Life

I remember, back in High School, when I used to ride with my tito after class to fetch my tita in Makati, I would always tell myself that I'll work in one of these buildings someday. Ever since, I always wanted to feel the Makati life because it is so fast paced and you'd see everyone wearing long sleeves or polo barongs to work.The best thing about it is that there's practically a cafe in almost every block.Yes, I thought this was the life... well, until I actually had a chance to experience the Makati life.

Today, I had an interview in SMART for an internship offer thanks to Michael Andrade. I talked to my parents about it and I was excited at first. I was called the day before the interviews and searched for the place right after the call. I was excited... until my parents wanted me to commute going there.

You see, driving in Makati is a lot different than driving in Quezon City. The police people in Makati actually catch people not following the rules. My dad, being so protective of our car, wanted me to commute going there. Problem is, I have no idea about Makati area and how to commute there. Eventually, I was able to get some tips from friends of mine.

I woke up at around 6am and left at around 7. They dropped me off at Quezon Avenue station MRT and now my journey begins. It started out okay. I had a spot near the door. The horror came when more and more people started squeezing in even if the train is already full. There was a little girl beside me and I kept on nudging her because the people were forcing their way inside the train. I said sorry to her of course and I held my bag and guarded my pockets because we were really packed.

I hated the feeling.

I couldn't move for another 5 or so stations. People were forcing to enter at each station. They didn't care about the people inside. All they wanted and cared about was getting into the freaking train. Finally, I went down at Buendia station; got a little lost but eventually, I was able to find the bus station.

I had to wait for around 10mins to make sure I got on the right bus (it was my first time to ride a bus alone). I didn't know how much the fare costs so I gave the guy P100. He looked at me and said, "Mag-isa ka lang?" I said yes and he gave me a stern look. I then realized that it only costs P12. Whoops.

Anyway, I went down at the right place just as what my friend told me and walked and explored Ayala Avenue. I arrived at around 8:15am perfect for my 9am interview. I went to a McDonald's store to change and freshen up and went to the SMART Building. I wont go into details but let's just say that I was in the same elevator that the interviewer was in and as soon as I got out of the elevator, he called me. It was embarrassing because I did a lot of crazy things in the elevator like fixed my hair, did some stretching, etc.

I spent my entire morning in Makati. I waited up for Juno who had his interview after mine. I stayed in Starbucks for a few hours while waiting for Erin's break. While walking to that "mall" for lunch, I could see people walking really fast all in corporate attire. I actually felt the Makati life.Met up with my batchmates and ate lunch then finally commuted back with Degu. The commute was less stressful compared to the one I had this morning so yeah.

I've had this dream ever since I was in high school -- to be able to work in the corporate world. And now I had this unforgettable experience in Makati, I salute to all the corporate workers out there. Man, their life is tough. Especially if you're one of those people who commute to work everyday. You'd have to get through all the pushing, squishing, lining up just to survive a day. That doesn't even count the actual work that you have to do.

To all my batchmates having their internship in Makati, good luck! And to all of my friends working in the Makati area, props to you guys. I hope to get into one of these buildings someday.

3 comments:

boo you said...

Are you a college student? You write like you just studied english for the first time. BORING

lalala said...

good luck on your internship! have fun :)

thelostboylloyd said...

I live in Makati, and all I can say is you'll get used to the daily grind. Wonder if you got the job tho. Good luck man. Hope to bump into you in the concrete jungles of Makati. :))